This is a hearty smoked fish and potatoes brunch dish. Serve with a dollop of horseradish-caper sour cream for even more flavor. Or if you prefer: one cup of sour cream mixed in with ¼ cup freshly snipped dill.
- 2 tbsp. butter1 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. potato dice or shred (frozen hash browns are perfectly fine)
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons milk or half and half
- 1 lb. flaked smoked salmon or smoked trout
- 2-3 tablespoons snipped chives, optional
Makes 4-6 servings
- In skillet heat butter together with 1 tbsp. veg oil- once butter melts add chopped onion and sauté until onions become soft and translucent.
- Now add the potatoes. Cook until potatoes start to turn tender and brown around the edges . Season with salt and pepper. Continue to turn over and cook for about 5 mins until uniformly soft. Pat mixture down with spatula.
- In a small bowl mix dijon mustard with milk or half and half and generous grinds (or shakes) of pepper. Scrape up the hash mixture and stir in the mustard mixture. Continue cooking and scraping up the hash, tamping it down with the spatula every so often.