- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 3lb. chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable or beef stock
- 2 large onions cut into quarters
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 lbs. potatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 oz. mushrooms, wiped clean
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Season the roast with salt and pepper on both sides. Place roast in Dutch oven and brown on both sides.
- Add stock to pan, onion wedges, garlic, bay leaf, and oregano. Mix in tomato paste. Bring to a low boil, cover and then place in the oven. Allow to cook for 2 hours, remove from oven and then add the potatoes, mushrooms, and carrots. Cover and return to oven and roast for another 45 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- To serve: Cut Pot Roast into thick slices. Place on a serving platter surrounded by potatoes with sauce thickly ladled over. Or serve sauce on side.
Makes 6-8 servings
Easy, full o’ flavor week-night dinner. Kiddles give it a definite thumbs up, and declare it way better than the sub shop.