You know those times when you just need something warm, comforting, and CHOCOLATE? Need it like you need oxygen or sleep. Well here it is. It’s over-the-top, but that’s ok, because so is the overwhelming need for chocolate.
- 1 large egg challah, cut into bite-sized pieces (approx. 8 cups)
- 6 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. nutella
- 1/2 c. mascarpone cheese
- butter, for greasing pan
- Place challah cubes in large bowl.
- In separate medium-sized sized bowl whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Pour egg mixture over challah cubes, stir so bread is coated in mixture.Fold the chocolate chips into egg-challah mixture.
- In another bowl (this recipe requires a lot of glassware- but it’s worth it) combine the nutella with the mascarpone.
- In a buttered casserole dish, cover bottom with half the soaked challah cubes. Then spread nutella-mascarpone mixture over challah layer. Top nutella-mascarpone layer with the rest of challah cubes. Place in fridge for a few hours or even overnight. Bring to room temperature and then place in 375F oven for about 30 minutes until toasty on top and ooey-gooey inside.
Makes 6-8 servings