Originally I put this Maple Cranberry Pear concoction in puff pastry, and offered them as dessert pop tarts for adults. But as Thanksgiving approaches I decided it would be the perfect base for a cobbler-type dessert, easier too! And the donuts-as-topping? C’mon who doesn’t love donuts? And Kinnikinnik makes pretty great gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy- free maple glazed donuts (available in the freezer section of Whole Food, Fairway, and health food stores) so everyone can get in on the yumminess..
- 4 large pears, peeled and cut into small chunks (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup whole fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 donuts (cinnamon, plain, maple- all great choices)
- 1 tablespoon butter, margarine, coconut or walnut oil
1. Preheat oven to 375º. Place pear cubes, cranberries, maple syrup, water, and cinnamon in a medium sized saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it begins to bubble and boil, reduce heat to a rolling simmer and allow the pears to soften and the cranberries to pop, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. In the meantime, cut the donuts into bite sized pieces. Pour Pear Cranberry mixture into a baking dish, cover the fruit evenly with cut up donuts. If using margarine or butter cut into 6 small cubes and scatter over donut topping. If using oil sprinkle it evenly over surface. Bake in oven for apprzimately 20 minutes or until donuts are golden and fruit layer is bubbling.