My parting gift before I leave for my much anticipated trip to Paris. These beautiful little tea cakes are très facile to make. The madeleine molds that give these treats their distinctive shape and design are not that difficult to find, I got mine at Target. They taste like mini sponge cakes and are parfaît with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Irony-Free Confession: I imagine I’m in a café in Paris enjoying a yummy treat with my coffee, whenever I munch on a madeleine. Pretty soon I won’t have to imagine!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- grated zest of one lemon
- 6 tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled a bit
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a 12 cup madeleine pan. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and creamy and ribbon-like in consistency when the beaters are lifted (about 4-5 minutes). Fold in vanilla extract and lemon zest.
3. Starting with the flour mixture, alternately fold in the flour and melted butter in four batches. Let the batter stand for approx. 10 minutes, and then carefully spoon it into the pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating pan half way through baking, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.