- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, cut in half and sliced into thin half-moons
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- water or vegetable stock
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere or parmesan cheese
1. Over medium-high flame heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add sliced onions the oil and saute for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. Add red wine vinegar, brown sugar and cook down onions until deep golden brown for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t scorch. Add a splash or two of water or veg stock if the onions are beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan. Mix in thyme, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Lightly toast bread. Spread each piece of toast with a thin shmear of Dijon mustard, if desired. Generously spoon onion mixture over toast, sprinkle each toast with 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
3. Place onion toasts on a baking sheet and broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.