This is good ol’ Bagels, Lox, and Cream Cheese reimagined as a modern composed salad. Flavor and texture abound with every bite. Leave out the pumpernickel croutons if you want to keep it Gluten Free.
- 1 small red onion (1/2 cup), thinly sliced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
For the Crème Fraiche Dressing:
- 3-4 Tbsp crème fraiche or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp prepared white horseradish
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Pinch of sugar, optional
- 1 pound small new potatoes
- 2-3 slices pumpernickel or rye bread
- 12 ounces torn romaine or mixed greens
- 6 ounces sliced lox or smoked salmon, cut into bite-sized squares
- 2-3 Tbsp capers, drained
1. To make the pickled red onions: Pour red wine vinegar in a small bowl, mix in sugar until it dissolves add the sliced onion, ensuring it is mostly submerged in vinegar. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
2. Boil or steam potatoes until just tender; drain let cool for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile make the dressing: In a small bowl mix together crème fraiche (or yogurt), fresh dill, horseradish. Adjust seasonings to taste.
4. To make the croutons, pre-heat oven to 375F. Cut slices of bread into bite-sized squares and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool
5. On a large platter evenly spread out lettuce. Space out the boiled potatoes strategically on the lettuce. Drape squares of smoked salmon over potatoes. Distribute the pickled red onions in equal amounts over the platter. Sprinkle drained capers artfully over salad. Drizzle salad with horseradish-dill crème fraiche dressing- ensuring that every section gets an adequate amount. Scatter the cooled croutons evenly over salad platter.
Suggested add ins: avocado, beets, hard boiled eggs, radishes. Purchased bagel chips are a fine substitution for the croutons.