Another one of those old faithful weekday recipes. On top of pasta with a dollop of ricotta it becomes a healthier kind of pink sauce; Hub likes it with fresh grated parmesan, olives or capers, and shreds of basil. It’s also good as a pizza sauce.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 x 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons oregano or basil, or both
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Place garlic cloves and coarsely chopped onion in a food processor and break it down to a paste.
2. Heat oil in a stockpot or a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion-garlic paste to shimmering oil, stirring often, until the onion is translucent (3-4 minutes)
3. Mix in crushed tomatoes, oregano or basil, sugar, and vinegar. Bring sauce to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35-40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.