This month’s Bon Appetit cover story (4/13) was devoted to the art sandwich-making. Taking their cue I decided to try my hand at the Vietnamese Bahn Mi sandwich with some fresh California flavor added for fun. A firm white fish like Mahi-Mahi or Halibut grills well, tastes great with the other featured flavors, and is a healthy protein. The pickled carrot and radish relish is something special and would be well-placed on a myriad of ‘wiches. It’s bahn-tastic!
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrots cut into matchstick-sized slivers
- 1/2 cup radishes, cut into matchstick-sized slivers
- bunch of green onions, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (low-fat is fine)
- 2 firm white fish fillets (Mahi-Mahi is great)
- 1 avocado, peeled, de-pitted, and sliced
- 2- 6″ baguette rolls
Garnishes: chopped fresh cilantro, cucumber slices.
1. Place vinegar, water, sugar, and salt into a saucepan over medium heat and mix until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Pour cooled vinegar mixture over carrots, radishes, and spring onions and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. In a small bowl combine the minced jalapeno’s with the mayonnaise.
4. Sprinkle fish fillets with salt and pepper and grill on both sides until cooked through.
Spread cut baguette with jalapeno mayo, top with sliced avocado, then add the fish fillet, then comes the carrot-radish relish. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro for even more flava and sliced cukes for even more crrrunch!